Group Tours at the Gardens
Join us for a private guided tour that will captivate all your senses! Explore beautiful cultivated gardens, enjoy a catered lunch, and take a walk along our scenic nature trails. Contact us today to book your experience.
Guided Tours Available for Groups of 15+
Our two-hour guided tours open the world of Royal Botanical Gardens to even the most frequent visitor. Our knowledgeable volunteers take your group of 15 or more on a relaxed and pleasurable journey where you learn about the rich history, gardens and trails that make Royal Botanical Gardens so special.
Guided tours require booking at least 4 weeks in advance. Self-guided tours are also available.
Best in Bloom
RBG’s five display gardens offer visitors an unparalleled sensory experience for every season. Whether your group are gardening experts or simply appreciates nature’s beauty, a trip to the Gardens is a dream come true.
Two landscaped levels showcasing cultivars of native and exotic Mediterranean plants, and home to the Cacti and Succulent Collection. The Breezeway entry features seasonal designs.
David Braley & Nancy Gordon Rock Garden
Available April to October
The internationally recognized RBG Rock Garden was built in 1931 and re-opened in 2016 after a $20M renovation. The Rock Garden is considered one of North America’s top five garden experience destinations and features:
- The garden, designed by Janet Rosenberg & Studio Inc., uses bold drifts of herbaceous perennials and grasses, chosen as much for their structure and texture as they are for their flower colour.
- New fully accessible paths
- Extensive water features and three new garden areas
- A state-of-the-art visitor centre and cafe featuring fresh and locally sourced ingredients, many found in RBG’s produce gardens!
Available May to October
Spectacular features include Iris and Peony collections, a stunning sculptural display of Clematis species and cultivars, Barbara Laking Memorial Heritage Garden, collections of hostas, ornamental grasses and season-long perennials.
Available May to October
At the heart of Hendrie Park is a pair of calming reflecting pools and a relaxing teahouse surrounded by the newly rejuvenated Rose Garden. Hendrie Park also includes the Helen M. Kippax Garden, Medicinal Garden, Lily Collection, Veggie Village 100 Mile Produce Garden, as well as The Dan Lawrie International Sculpture Collection.
Delight your senses with over 700 variety of lilac species and cultivars — one of the most diverse collections in the world. The Arboretum is also home to a variety of flowering trees and shrubs, with many links to our trail system.
Hit the Trails
Join an RBG guide on a half-day hike through some spectacular and diverse landscapes that make this area unique. The program combines physical challenge with nature learning and can be tailored to complement desired topics, or simply left to focus on the experience and follow the participants’ curiosity.
Available November through December
Celebrate the holiday season with a botanical-themed tour of RBG Centre and Hendrie Park! A guided walk through the Mediterranean Garden focuses on traditional uses of citrus, peppermint, ginger, and more during the holidays. An optional outdoor tour of Hendrie Park provides opportunities to see our winter displays and warm up with a drink purchased at the Turner Pavilion Teahouse.
Drop-In Activities & Tours
Do you have a smaller group, but still want to join us for a guided tour of the gardens?
Join our nature interpreters daily during bloom season (mid-May through August) at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. for pre-determined guided tours of our key collections and areas of interest! Tour topics and locations vary throughout the summer; find a schedule and more information before your visit on the events calendar. These discovery tours are included in your General Admission or Membership.
Our on-site caterer provides delicious and eclectic menu options with a focus on locally sourced ingredients that are sure to make your tour lunch one to remember.
Booking Your Tour
Please follow these guidelines for booking you next group tour:
- Fifteen (15) or more people qualifies as a group tour.
- Guided tours must be booked at least four (4) weeks in advance of requested tour date, with self-guided tours booked at least two (2) weeks in advance
- To guarantee the date requested, the group tour agreement form must be returned along with a 25% deposit. The deposit is credited to the tour’s final invoice balance. Final guest count and balance are due two (2) weeks prior to the scheduled tour date. Applicable to guided tours only. Deposit not required for self-guided tours.
- An invoice with your tour balance and due date is sent out to confirm your tour is booked.
- Final payment is due two (2) weeks prior to your tour date and must be in ONE form of payment either cheque/cash/credit card. Self-guided tours can make one payment upon arrival.
- Garden tour guides are scheduled based on group size. Last minute additions may affect the group’s experience. Extra lunches are subject to availability
Request a Tour
The form is a request only. Submission of the form does not imply a reservation/booking. RBG Group Tours will contact you with confirmation of your booking.
PLEASE NOTE: organized group tours are only available for groups of 15 or more. Guided tours must be booked at least 4 weeks in advance.
There are no refunds for any guest(s) cancellations or no-shows on the day of the scheduled tour. Tours may be cancelled and/or postponed by the Gardens due to inclement weather and an alternate visit date is scheduled. If you must cancel your group tour visit, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and allow 15 working days to receive your refund.
Upon arrival, your group leader must check in with RBG Centre staff to confirm guest count for the day and receive group stamp. If your group is larger than 15 people, your group will be divided accordingly, in order to maximize the visitor experience. It is recommended that guests wear appropriate shoes and clothing for active outdoor walking.