Growing Food at Home for Beginners (virtual)
Event InformationAccessible Event
Date & Time:
September 20, 2021, 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Courses and Programs, Green Thumb, Online
1 to 2 Hours
Pre-Registration Required, Ticketed Event
One of RBG’s Courses & Workshops
Join RBG’s Johnny Clarke of Veggie Village to learn the basics of growing food at home. Timed with the growing season, these webinars will provide a broad overview of tips and tricks to producing a quality vegetable garden using organic practices. Whether you are using raised or earth beds, containers big or small, join Johnny to discover the possibilities and get your questions answered.
Register for the full series:
- Monday, April 12; 7 to 8 p.m. Get the season started! Learn what makes a healthy vegetable garden from location to soil to plant composition. Join Johnny to learn your hardiness zone, how to read seed packs, seed starting indoors to direct sowing outside! There’s much be covered in the Spring.
- Monday, May 17; 7 to 8 p.m. Wondering when to bring your tomatoes outside? Learn the basics of hardening off your seedlings, spacing and light requirements, companion planting, and what to do in case of frost!
- Monday, June 28; 7 to 8 p.m. Gardening season is in full force now. Your plants may need fertilizing, pruning, and effective watering. Learn to prune and stake your veggies and discuss the basics of succession planting and yielding a bumper crop.
- Monday, August 9; 7 to 8 p.m. With pests and weeds and tomatoes galore, harvest season is truly upon us. Join Johnny to learn about maintenance and next steps as fall approaches.
- Monday, September 20; 7 to 8 p.m. It’s the most wonderful time of the year… garlic planting is here! Learn how to extend your season or put your gardens to bed. Wondering what to do with all that zucchini? We’ll join Nadine discuss ideas to bring those summer flavours into the winter months ahead.
Fee: $15 per session + Service Fee (Members 10% off*)
Please pre-register 10 days in advance**
Growing up in a small rural town of St. Thomas Ontario Johnny found his love for horticulture helping his Mom tend to the gardens of his family home. In the coming years Johnny would obtain a summer job with a local landscape company maintaining residential and commercial properties. In 2012 Johnny was accepted to the Horticulture Technician program at Fanshawe College in London On. After graduating, Johnny joined RBG as a summer student working at the Main Centre. That same year he accepted a full-time position the Rock garden, and the rest is history. Johnny has spent time at the Rock, Laking, Main Centre and finally settled in Hendrie Park where he has maintained the many gardens located there, including Veggie Village.
**Pre-Registration is required for all RBG Courses & Workshops, ideally by the date provided to allow the program organizers to best prepare. If the indicated “register by” date has passed, you may still be able to register for the program, provided there is space still available.
More Courses & Workshops
RBG offers courses and workshops for families, kids and adults in the areas of gardening, nature, botanical arts and wellness. Visit rbg.ca/publicprograms to see this season’s full offering.